The Birds’ Favorite Hardy Native Shrubs and Tree at MTA
- Mulberry (Morus species): attracts Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Northern Cardinals and numerous other songbirds.
- Serviceberry (Amelanchier species): attracts Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Northern Cardinals, Red-?eyed Vireos, Scarlet Tanagers, Evening Grosbeaks and others.
- Crabapples (Malus species): attracts Robins, Eastern Bluebirds, Thrushes, Gray Catbirds, Northern
- Chestnut Oak, Red Oak, Swamp White Oak and otheres (Quercus species): attracts Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Wild Turkeys, Grouse, Wood Ducks, and others.
- Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana): attracts Cedar Waxwings and others.
- Spruces (Picea species): attracts Crossbills and other seed-eaters in fall and winter and migrating Warblers search for insects in spring.
- Northern Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica): attracts Tree Swallows, Gray Catbirds, Eastern Bluebirds and many others.
- Chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia, A. melanocarpa): attracts Blue Jays, Cedar Waxwings, Eastern Towhees, Thrushes, Brown Thrashers and Northern Flickers.
- Elderberry (Sambucus): attracts Northern Cardinals, Eastern Bluebirds, Gray Catbirds, White-?breasted Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Eastern Phoebes, Robins, Brown Thrashers, Cedar Waxwings, Woodpeckers, and Tufted Titmouse.
- Blueberry (Vaccinium sp): attracts pretty much every bird that likes berries, including Cedar Waxwings, Blue Jays, American Crows, and Robins.
- Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina): attracts Robins, Eastern Bluebirds, Thrushes, Gray Catbirds, Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, Wild Turkey, Pileated Woodpeckers, many others.
- Red-osier Dogwood, Gray Dogwood, and others (Cornus species): attracts Robins, Eastern Bluebirds, Thrushes, Gray Catbirds, Red-eyed Vireos, Dark-eyed Juncos, Northern Cardinals, Warblers, Wild Turkey, Grouse, others.
- Arrowwood, Blue Muffin Viburnum, Cranberry Viburnum, Leatherleaf, Nannyberry, Witherod, (Viburnum species): attracts Robins, Eastern Bluebirds, Thrushes, Gray Catbirds, Northern Cardinals, Finches, Cedar Waxwings.
- Winterberry (holly) (Ilex verticillata): attracts Robins, Eastern Bluebirds, Cedar Waxwings and others.